Parish of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh, a Charity registered in Scotland—number SC008540
Mungo's story begins at Traprain Law, the Lothians: Grandson of British prince Lothus. Son of St Enoch. Born c518 at CULROSS, Fife. St Serf the Abbot named the child Kentigern (Chief Lord) but as he grew up and was educated in the Abbey he was known as Mungo (Dear One). Ordained c550. Hermit, Monk, Missionary to Scotland and Wales. Died 13 January 603. Buried in GLASGOW Catherdral.
BIRD St Serf had a pet robin which was
accidently killed by a monk who blamed it on Mungo, who took the bird in his
hands, prayed over it and it revived.
FISH The queen of Cadzow lost her ring. Her husband suspected her of intrigue. Afraid, she asked Mungo to help. He caught a fish in the Clyde, opened its mouth and found the ring inside.
BELL Given to St MUngo by the pope.
TREE Left in charge of the fire inSt Serf's monastery he fell asleep and the fire went out. He broke off some frozen brnaches from a hazel tree and rekindled the fire.
"Let Glasgow Flourish through the preaching of Thy Word and the Praising of Thy name"
It is recorded in Celtic folklore that St Serf stood on the hilltop at Kinneil Village and threw his staff across the Forth. He built his abbey at the place where it landed, Culross.
The name Culross derives from two Gaelic words "Cuileann Ros" meaning "Point where the holly grows." St Serf founded his monastery here n the 5th century.
Built in 1503, St MUngo's Chapel marks the site where a small boat (coravle) came ashore. On board was St Enoch, the mother of St Mungo. Her child was born that very night.
The present building was founded as a Cistercian monastery in 1217 by Malcolm, Earl of Fife. Culross Abbey was dedicated to St Mary and St Serf. Look at the stained glass windows. Today the Abbey serves as the Parish church. The building contains an ancient Celtic cross, and the traditional site of the tomb of St Serf.
At Hawkhill, Alloa there is a Pictish
burial ground marked by sandstone block with a sculptured cross. Dumyat, the
hill fortress of the Maetae stands guard over this early Pictish kingdom.
Mungo crossed the Forth over the ford at Alloa to set out on his first missionary journey full of selfless zeal, and without counting the miles, ready to reach out to others as brothers and sisters in Christ. To this day the Catholic Churches of High Valleyfield and Kincardine and many of the other churches along the Hillfoots are dedicated to St Serf and St Mungo. Travelling via Kinross you can go to Loch Leven and across to St Serf's Island and find there the ruins of a later Priory built on the site of a Celtic monastery. St Serf died at Dunning, one of his favourite foundations. It is marked today by St Serf's church, rebuilt in 1811, and retaining an impressive Norman steeple dating from the mid-12th century. There is also a Celtic Cross, a relic of an earlier church built on this site. St Serf's mission to the Picts took him further afield to Culsalmond, 8 miles from Kinnoir, Huntly. St Mungo preached here in his later years, following in the footsteps of his friend and Abbot. To the local Picts of the later part of the 6th century Mungo and Serf would have been welcomed since they spoke the language well enough to be clearly understood by them.